Customer Feedback

Please post ideas, areas for improvement, and problems you see in your current IT operations that you think we’re in the best position to solve. Rants, personal attacks, advertising, or off-topic posts may be removed by RightScale moderators.

I wish ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Need more granular role based permission/security

Currently from the Rightscale security list you either need to completely lock it down or completely open it up and there is no in between. I need something that is more granular for example:
    1) Give only permission for a user to modify inputs and run a script.
    2) Give permission to only specific deployments
    3) Give permission to only specific servers

Basically we need a matrix that goes through all the Rightscale components such as servers, templates, deployments, security groups, ssh keys, credendial, arrays etc...

127 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    8 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. For a given deployment, merge graphing together for all instances, both existing and terminated.

Right now, the only way to view monitoring data for a terminated deployment is to hunt the given server down in the EC2 terminated instance list. Instead, I think it would be a great benefit to have all this data tracked in the monitoring panel for the deployment and kept there as a history of all activity. Particularly for merging data from various array instances of the same type, I think this would be highly useful to track overall deployment health, especially as the array grows and shrinks over a given time period. Aggregating these results otherwise would be a…

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Support for Chef Roles

Allow user to specify which chef roles a ServerTemplate is to fulfill instead of having to include the recipes for each of these roles.

(This task was broken out from a previous task:
    http://feedback.rightscale.com/forums/94975-customer-feedback/suggestions/1788629-additional-chef-support-debugging-roles-chef-0-?ref=title)

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  ServerTemplates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add support for AWS IAM Roles

Take advantage of the new AWS IAM Roles in AWS to increase security by letting AWS manage the credentials based on the instance IAM Role.
    See http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2012/06/iam-roles-for-ec2-instances-simplified-secure-access-to-aws-service-apis-from-ec2.html for more details.

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Clouds  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Mobile Device UI

Quite often I find myself needing to access the rightscale dashboard from my mobile device(s): iphone, ipad, etc.

The current site works (mostly), but it is heavy and hard to use.

Please add a mobile UI or maybe an app?

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow RightScripts to be backed by git

Allow git repos to be used when pulling RightScript code. Similar to the way that RepoPaths work for cookbooks, having RightScripts pull from git allows our own version control along with easier editing techniques rather than copy pasting from our favorite editor.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  ServerTemplates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Support for Elastic Block Store (EBS) Snapshot Copy

Today - Dec 18, 2012, Amazon announced Elastic Block Store (EBS) Snapshot Copy.

It sounds dreamy. I'm putting in a vote to have it supported in Rightscale.

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/ebs-copy-snapshot.html?ref_=pe_2170_27415460

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow alerts to be created on cumulative CPU

Alerts and auto-scaling based on single CPU e.g. CPU-0 cause unnecessary false positives and cost because the other CPUs might be idle.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Scalable Arrays  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Sync RS "nicknames" with AWS Instance Names

When the RightScale front end Dashboard pulls Instance information for instances we created directly in Amazon AWS (completely outside of RightScale), it'd be nice if it would pull the "Instance Name" into the "Nickname" field rather than setting it to "-changeme-", so we'd know which instances were which.

And the same for instances that RightScale creates. It would be great if it would set the Instance Name in the AWS front end to the Rightscale nickname so that we could see it from the AWS interface.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ruby 1.9.2 for RightLink

It would be nice if the default ruby installed is 1.9.2.
    Ruby 1.9.2 has been out for a while. Making our scripts to work with 1.8.7 seems like a downgrade. We can barely run rightscripts in 1.9.2 after installing rvm, but we cannot run Chef recipes.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  RightLink  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Input Validation

We need an ability to validate inputs prior to launching the server. For e.g. Regular Expression Validation , Date validation , Number validation.

We currently have 150 + deployments and it is so easy to make a mistake and realizing the impact.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. API to updating RightScript

It will be useful to have API to update RightScript, because in some cases( including while developing script ) we want update it through an api.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. public bug tracker

a public bug tracker would be great!
    if anyone run into a bug resulting in a stranded server for example, it would be possible to search through the bug tracker, if the bug is already known.
    this will save a lot of time of error analysing and workarounds.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Native RightScale Support for Custom RPM & Deb Repositories

Currently, RightScale only allows you to select from a predetermined set of repositories. We manage our own repositories for RPMs. When specifying packages for a RightScript, it will only automatically install packages from the initial set of repositories configured prior to boot. As a result, we need to always manually run "yum -y install package_name" after we've added our custom repo to /etc/yum.repos.d/.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Seems like a good one. We need to make some changes to our agent to make this possible, which will take some time. The value is clear to me, so I will put this on the backlog and work through iteratively getting the agent updated before making this capability available at the ServerTemplate level. Please let me know if you have any questions.

15. Add Breadcrumbs to the RightScale UI

When viewing a server, it would be nice to see what its a part of. For example,

Deployments > Deployment A > Server Name

When you have multiple deployments, it can sometimes become cumbersome seeing where you're at and getting back and forth.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    backlog  ·  vamshi polamvamshi polam responded

We are working on a redesign which will provide a way to quickly retrace the path and we are considering breadcrumbs in certain areas of RightScale UI

16. 22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    backlog  ·  vamshi polamvamshi polam responded

Updating alerts on running array instances has been shipped.

For updating alerts on running servers, the task is in the backlog.

17. Change the cloud for an inactive server/array

Use-cases:

1. A server is cloned to have an equivalent in another cloud. Inputs/tags/alerts defined at the server level will be copied to the clone.

2. A deployment with AWS(us-east-1) servers is cloned from the dashboard to have an equivalent in another cloud(ex: eu-west-1). For large deployments, API could be used to change the cloud and resources like ssh keys, security groups.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. View\sort unused scripts and templates for easy cleanup

It would be nice when viewing RightScripts and ServerTemplates that you could have a field indicating that they are used. I imported\cloned a lot of scripts and templates when I was first setting up my account, now it is very cluttered with unused ones. It would nice to be able to sort by a field indicating that the script or template is not used and bulk delete them from the account.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    backlog  ·  1 comment  ·  Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ability to delete a published ServerTemplate that was only shared privately

Currently published ServerTemplates are not deletable, even if they were only shared privately. I would like the ability to clean up ServerTemplates that are no longer needed.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Deployment monitoring graphs would retain their collapsed or uncollapsed state

Currently the deployment monitoring graphs will not retain their collapsed or uncollapsed state. We have to constantly click open all the monitoring bars each time we go to the page.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base